- Our websites (sniped.app); and
- and our Services (sniped, a “Slack App”)
Below we explain how we collect, use, and share information about you, along with the choices that you have with respect to that information.
Information We Collect
We only collect information about you if we have a reason to do so–for example, to provide our Services, to communicate with you, or to make our Services better.
We collect information in three ways: if and when you provide information to us, automatically through operating our Services, and from outside sources.
Information You Provide to Us
It’s probably no surprise that we collect information that you provide to us. The amount and type of information depends on the context and how we use the information. Here are some examples:
- Basic Account Information: We ask for basic information from you in order to set up your account when subscribing for the Service, including Customer Information.
- Feedback: We log information you provide related to interactions with any customer support, product evaluation, dispute resolution and other communications with our Service and personnel.
Information We Collect Automatically
We also collect some information automatically:
- Log Information: Like most online service providers, we collect information that web browsers, mobile devices, and servers typically make available, such as the browser type, IP address, unique device identifiers, language preference, referring site, the date and time of access, operating system, and mobile network information.
- Usage Information: We collect information about your usage of our Services. We also collect information about what happens when you use our Services (e.g., page views) along with information about your device (e.g., screen size, name of cellular network, and mobile device manufacturer). We use this information to, for example, provide our Services to you, as well as get insights on how people use our Services, so we can make our Services better.
- Location Information: We may determine the approximate location of your device from your IP address. We collect and use this information to, for example, calculate how many people visit our Services from certain geographic regions.
Purposes for Using Information
We use information about you as mentioned above and for the purposes listed below:
- To provide our Services – for example, to set up and maintain your account, maintain the leaderboards;
- To further develop and improve our Services – for example by adding new features that we think our users will enjoy or will help them to create and manage their websites more efficiently;
- To monitor and analyze trends and better understand how users interact with our Services, which helps us improve our Services and make them easier to use;
- To monitor and prevent any problems with our Services, protect the security of our Services, detect and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities, fight spam, and protect the rights and property of Northspring Technologies Inc. and others, which may result in us declining a transaction or the use of our Services; and
- To communicate with you about offers and promotions offered by Northspring Technologies Inc. we think will be of interest to you, solicit your feedback, or keep you up to date on Northspring Technologies and our products.
We do not sell our users’ private personal information.
We share information about you in the limited circumstances spelled out below and with appropriate safeguards on your privacy:
- Third Party Vendors: We may share information about you with third party vendors who need to know information about you in order to provide their services to us, or to provide their services to you or your site. This group includes vendors that help us provide our Services to you (like payment providers that process your credit and debit card information, fraud prevention services that allow us to analyze fraudulent payment transactions, postal and email delivery services that help us stay in touch with you, customer chat and email support services that help us communicate with you). We require vendors to agree to privacy commitments in order to share information with them.
- Legal Requests: We may disclose information about you in response to a subpoena, court order, or other governmental request.
- To Protect Rights, Property, and Others: We may disclose information about you when we believe in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of Northspring Technologies, third parties, or the public at large. For example, if we have a good faith belief that there is an imminent danger of death or serious physical injury, we may disclose information related to the emergency without delay.
- Aggregate anonymized statistics: In the "Analytics & Reporting" feature of sniped we may share with other customers aggregate and anonymized information about your usage of sniped
Information Shared Publicly
Information like your username, number of warnings, and number of stars are all available to others in your workspace– we hope this keeps your laptop locked!
In addition, in the "Analytics & Reporting" feature of sniped we may include aggregate and anonymized statistics that include your usage of sniped.
How Long We Keep Information
We generally discard information about you when we no longer need the information for the purposes for which we collect and use it – which are described in the section above on Purposes for Using Information – and we are not legally required to continue to keep it.
For example, we keep the web server logs that record information about a visitor to one of Northspring Technologies' websites, such as the visitor’s IP address, browser type, and operating system, for approximately 13 months. We retain the logs for this period of time in order to, among other things, analyze traffic to Northspring Technologies' websites and investigate issues if something goes wrong on one of our websites.
We work very hard to protect information about you against unauthorized access, use, alteration, or destruction, and take reasonable measures to do so, such as monitoring our Services for potential vulnerabilities and attacks. We use industry standard encryption to protect your data in transit and while it is stored on our servers. This is commonly referred to as transport layer security (TLS) or secure socket layer (SSL) technology. However, internet data transmissions cannot be guaranteed to be 100% secure, and we cannot ensure the security of information during its transmission between you and us. Accordingly, you acknowledge that when you transport such information, you do so at your own risk.
If you are located in certain countries, including those that fall under the scope of the European General Data Protection Regulation (AKA the “GDPR”), data protection laws give you rights with respect to your personal data, subject to any exemptions provided by the law, including the rights to:
- Request access to your personal data;
- Request correction or deletion of your personal data;
- Object to our use and processing of your personal data;
- Request that we limit our use and processing of your personal data; and
- Request portability of your personal data.
EU individuals also have the right to make a complaint to a government supervisory authority.
Information from Children
We do not knowingly collect personal information from children without parental consent. If we learn that we have inadvertently obtained information in violation of applicable laws prohibiting collection of information from children without such consent, we will promptly delete it.
Third Party Privacy Practices
Questions or Concerns
Northspring Technologies Inc.
510-177 Linus Road
Toronto, ON, Canada, M2J4S5
Attn: Alex Ianus
That’s it! Thanks for reading.
2018-04-19: Explain how customer usage information is shared as part of our aggregate / anonymized usage statistics in the "Analytics & Reporting" feature